An Arkansas family has never been so happy to own a pet goat.

Nick Bruce and his family are crediting Speedy the goat with saving their lives after a fire broke out inside their home in the middle of the night.

10-year-old Abigail says Speedy detected the fire and woke her up by jumping on her in bed. Abigail then ran to her parents' room to wake them up. Smoke was starting to fill up the house, so the family jumped out of a window and escaped onto the front lawn. Luckily no one was injured.

If not for Speedy the goat, who the family got just two days earlier as a birthday present for Abigail, the story could have had a tragic ending. (WREG-TV Memphis)